Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, uncertainty regarding when large gatherings will be “safe” again, and ultimate concern for the health and safety for all our attendees, NEWWA’s staff and board are saddened to report that we have made the difficult decision to cancel the rescheduled Spring Joint Regional Conference and Exhibition from June 22-23, 2020, at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass.
We will not be rescheduling the event again in 2020. For full details on refunds and donations, please click the button below:
Any and all arrangements with third parties (flights, hotels, etc.) will need to be cancelled/rescheduled on an individual basis. NEWWA is not responsible for these cancellations. The DCU Center and SER Exposition Services will be automically refunding electric and supply orders that were placed for this year's conference. Please be patient as they work to process these refunds.
A letter from Kirsten King, Executive Director, New England Water Works Association:
I would personally like to bring attention to and thank the following for their tireless work and efforts into making this show happen. We are truly heartbroken that the entire water works family from across New England will not get the opportunity to come together this year like we have for 20+ years at the DCU Center and countless years before that in Marlborough and other locations.
• Program Committee – Run by Chair Kevin Flood - without them, the technical program—this year more than 100 speakers were scheduled to present in 18 concurrent sessions over 2 days—would not happen. The level of effort put forth by this committee in particular is second to none. They meet monthly to keep all programs on track, on time and schedule, and organized.
• Hydrant Hysteria Committee – Run by Chair Demetri Vidalis - from organizing teams, to vetting rules, obtaining sponsors, and running a top-notch event, this committee has heightened operator involvement in the association and allows not one, but two teams to represent NEWWA at AWWA ACE. Unfortunately this competition will not run this year due to the cancellation of ACE20 in Orlando, which was also scheduled for June.
• Student Activities Committee – Run by Chair Dr. Ken Lee, he organizes the student poster session, which allows undergraduate as well as graduate students to showcase their projects to interested attendees and potential employers.
• Young Professionals Committee – Run by Chair Will Walkup, the YP Committee helps organize the Wednesday morning YP Meet & Greet Breakfast, which helps break the ice for newcomers to the associations and profession, allows for networking, and is a great way for people to ease into the conference for the next 2 days. This event has grown exponentially over the years and now attracts 100+ participants.
• Our vendors – more than 200 of you attend each year, many of you consistently for as long as we can remember. Thank you for your loyalty.
• Our sponsors – we had more sponsors scheduled this year than we have ever had, and were so excited to showcase your partnership with us. We will work to try and provide you recognition throughout the rest of the year.
• Our attendees – we were looking forward to seeing you all again, from registration through the exhibit hall and the technical sessions. We will have to wait one more year to see if you enjoy the change of the Wednesday afternoon reception to the exhibit hall and the new diversity breakfast/panel on Thursday morning.
• Our volunteers – from assisting at registration with pulling badges for attendees to scanning badges in and out of technical sessions – your assistance helps the staff tremendously over these extremely busy 2 days.
• The staff – without the NEWWA staff, this event would not exist. The level of planning that goes into the Spring Conference is extensive, and each staff member plays a role in its planning and execution. I’d like to give special thanks to Katelyn Todesco, our Events and Marketing Manager, who is the lifeblood of the show, as well as staff members Claire O’Dell, Mary Keating, Mary Quigley, Jacqui Campana, Lisa Franks, Linda Smith, Pam Amalfi, Paul Riendeau, Don Bunker, and Nelson Cabral, who all also play integral roles in the conference’s planning and final execution.
I hope everyone remains safe, level-headed, healthy, and prepared as this pandemic continues to evolve. Thank you again to everyone for your continued support and dedication to NEWWA and we look forward to welcoming you to our next event for networking, learning, camaraderie, and most importantly, FUN!
New England Water Works Association - 125 Hopping Brook Road - Holliston, MA 01746 - PH: (508) 893-7979 - FAX: (508) 893-9898